Monday, March 23, 2009

What attitudes do you think your students will need to be successful?

Students need the knowledge, skills and attitudes to be prepared. Prepared for what you ask? Everything that is thrown at them. They need to be prepared for the next grade level. They need to be prepared for state expectations. But, most of all, they need to be prepared for the outside world. They need to be problems solvers and learn to think for themselves.
As an third grade educator, I feel like I am constantly trying to move the students into becoming more independent. I teach and teach, and just as I try to hand over the reins, many of them grab back on to me for support. Even when I feel like they really have a good grasp on something, sometimes they just aren't completely independent.
I need to continue to give positive reinforcement, and give the children the confidence to work to the best of their ability. I need to put them in more situations where they must think for themselves and encourage their natural talents. If the child finds worth in their assignment, and goes about completing it in ways that are comfortable for them, they will begin to learn ways to become more independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment