Monday, March 2, 2009

How does NCLB and state testing affect me in the classroom?

I began teaching shortly before NCLB. At the time I remember the uproar of complaints from teachers, but to me it was not a big change in routine because I was still developing myself as an educator. I was not really forced to change any old habits. Over the next few years I continued to hear the grumbles, but also began to see a change in attitude and effort as new ideas were implemented. I truly see this as a time of separation between those teachers that were willing to change with the times and those that were not.
Since NCLB, and a change in state testing from the ESPA to the NJASK, I've noticed a strong focus on words like proficient, rubric, highly qualified, and professional development. These words have helped to develop other expectations from the teacher and the classroom. Standardized quarterlies and benchmarks have been put into place to help drive instruction. Rubrics have been organized, simplified and adopted by teachers and students to help them assess their work.
I personally begin my year with talking to the parents about the expectations of third grade standardized testing, which is often viewed as cruel and unusual punishment. Throughout the year I try to address higher order thinking and self creativity so that the child is better prepared for the NJASK. Simple problem solving techniques and thoughtful responses are necessary in the pursuit of proficiency. I keep the children in constant discussions about what to expect in their testing so that they are not stressed out or caught off guard. Even things like multiple choice decisions and the visual layout of the test are shown to the children throughout the year in hopes of maintaining a comfortable relationship with standardized testing.
However, I am beginning to feel the strain of higher expectations through NCLB. Meeting a goal of achievement is so rewarding, but the constant raising of the bar leaves me with the feeling that one day my goal will be unattainable. I feel like I may be at the brink of success, but I am willing to try any new ideas or teaching practices that will help me continue to meet the state expectation. If the demanding needs of NCLB are attainable by other teachers, than I can meet them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment