Monday, April 6, 2009

Exit Card

Three things I've learned:
1.) Programs, programs, programs...although it is difficult to learn new technological programs as you are trying to learn new material, overall it has been beneficial. Now that I'm expecting my first child, I'm already thinking of ways to use screen casts, slide shows, and blogs to share the experience (and maybe throw a little into the classroom too, hehe).
2.) The importance of rubrics...I know I use them, and I know I've share the writing rubric with my students for Language Arts, but now I'm starting to use them much more often in different subjects. I gives me more confidence when grading, and also gives an expectation to the student. It worked perfectly on a recent social studies project where a parent is now complaining about the grade her son received, but the expectation was clearly written out in a rubric.
3.) How to develop a PLE and a PLN...I think I've already started one. Keeping the wiki and blog going is going to open an avenue for me throughout my education, and hopefully my fellow classmates and I can use each other in the future as a resource.

2 interesting things:
1.) I never knew that the images on google or other sites were not to be used on publications. I'll definitely stick to flickr.
2.) To learn that constant student feedback helps the students drive to do better. This is something that I definitely need to work more on.

Question I still have:
How do you make it all work? How do you teach every subject, address all of the NJCCCS, and get it all in within a 10 month time period? With pullouts, differentiated lessons, and constant distractions to your schedule, how do you get it all in and make sure you're reaching every child?

Response to Kathy's question: How does one truly judge the effectiveness of curriculum?
Great question Kathy! I understand it is a constant work in progress, but how much documentation does it take to judge the effectiveness of a curriculum. I'd image several pieces are put together to see if it is working....(ie. student work, state testing, benchmarks, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment