Sunday, April 19, 2009

Student Generated Question #2

Q- With all of the differentiation going on in classrooms today, how can a teacher effectively, and in a timely manner, address all of the needs of their students?

A- Hire a secretary. The emense amount of documentation needed to indivdualize a program per students is the hardest aspect I find. Differentiating a lesson is easy, but deciding who needs what is by far the most challenging. With several different subjects to teach a day, individualizing lessons is extremely time consuming.

One solution I have come accross is using the help of technology. Often times a program can help to identify a students needs and adjust the levels to better suit the child. I have used some programs of this nature, however, they are very expensive. Few classes in my school have adopted these program due to the amount of money needed to run the program. It is almost necessary to use these resources in combination with teacher-to-student interaction (follow up) to help monitor a student's learning as well as identify strengths and weaknesses that particular student may have.

Classmate Blog Comment:
I really appreciated Mitch's responce to my Exit Card blog. Sometimes the overwhelmed feeling of teaching can be quietly calmed by a simple statement like "Life happens." I often find that bouncing my concerns off of other teachers is like therapy (minus the couch). Just hearing someone support my ideas with possible solutions is much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment